Thursday, February 17, 2011
We were missing the blueberries this time around but they were still delicious. I also had some of the scraps with nutella. . . . yummy!
Fruit Filled Pastry Hearts from Better Homes and Gardens
1 17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets)
1/3 cup peach spreadable fruit or preserves (also good with raspberry)
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1 cup peeled and finely chopped peaches (about 2) (or fresh raspberries)
1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup blueberries
1. Thaw and unfold puff pastry sheets onto a lightly floured surface. Using a floured, 2 inch heart shaped cookie cutter cut pastry into about 45 heart shapes (do not reroll scraps). Place pastry hearts on an ungreased baking sheet. (number of hearts obviously depends on the size of your cookie cutter)
2. Bake in a 375 F oven for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, store, tightly covered, at room temperature for up to 12 hours.
3. In a small saucepan combine spreadable fruit or preserves and lemon peel. Heat and stir until melted; cool. In a large mixing bowl combine peaches and blueberries. Add spread or preserves mixture and gently toss to combine; set aside.
4. In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. (I've used powdered sugar instead of brown sugar)
5. To assemble pastries, with a serrated knife, cut pastry hearts in half horizontally. Spread each of the bottom halves with about 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture. Top each with a spoonful of fruit mixture and a pastry top. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 4 hours. Just before serving, lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar.