Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cream Puffs

Photobucket

Funny story about these cream puffs. Once, in college, I intended to double the recipe but accidentally added four sticks of butter instead of two. . . (1 stick equals 1/2 cup, not 1/4 cup).

The filling is so delicious that sometimes we just eat the pudding. It's fun to pour the pudding in fancy glasses or dishes and top it with fresh whipped cream.

And for the third mini story/note, I got this recipe from my mom. It's one of the few things I remember her making when I was younger and definitely one of my favorite foods as a child and as I discovered giant cream puffs at the Del Mar Fair.

Cream Puffs
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Heat oven to 400f. Heat water and butter to rolling boil. Stir in flour. Stir vigorously over low heat for one minuted or until mixture forms into a ball. Remove from heat. Beat in eggs all at once. Continue beating until smooth. Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls three inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden (I usually make mine a bit smaller and bake them for less time). Cool away from draft. Cut off tops. Pull out any filaments of soft dough. Carefully fill puffs with pudding filling. Replace top. Refrigerate. Dust with powder sugar before serving, if desired. Best the first day.

Vanilla (or chocolate) Cream Puff Pudding Filling
1 package (3 1/2 oz) instant pudding
1 cup milk
2 cups whipping cream or cool whip

In a mixer bowl, blend pudding and one cup milk. Add whipping cream and beat until peaks form.

* I've only made this with chocolate and vanilla pudding but if you're a huge fan of another flavor, give it a try!
** I don't usually measure, I just kind of eyeball it for the filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you're here! I'd love to answer your questions. If your blogger profile isn't enabled (ie if your comments are posted from no-reply@blogger.com), please leave your email address in your comment.